Thursday 12 August 2010

in the square

The current fourth plinth is my second favourite (my favourite of all time is the guy who dressed as Godzilla and smashed London and played swingball tennis).
I like the artist statement of this one:

‘For me its a celebration of London’s immense ethnic wealth, giving expression to and honouring the many cultures and ethnicities that are still breathing precious wind into the sails of the United Kingdom. A ship in a bottle is an object of wonder. Adults and children are intrigued by its mystery. How can such towering masts and billowing sails fit inside such a commonplace object? With Nelson’s Ship in a Bottle I want to take this childhood sense of wonder and amplify it to match the monumental scale of Trafalgar Square.’


Yinka Shonibare

No comments: